Friday, July 31, 2015

What Jesus Commanded, Part 3: Trust, Self-denial & Humility

Jesus said there is no other commandment greater than love of God and love of neighbor. Much is implied in both of these. Among other things, loving God leads to trusting God's goodness and that of Jesus, God's Messiah. With that, Jesus commands self-denial and humility.

Trust

“Do not fear, only believe.” Mark 5:36

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear.” Matthew 6:25

“But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” 
Matthew 6:33

“So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” Matthew 6:34

“So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 10:31

 “So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops. Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground unperceived by your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.” 
Matthew 10:26-31 (cf. Luke 12:6-7)

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.” John 14:27

“And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

Self-Denial

“If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves.” Matthew 16:24 (cf. Mark 8:34)

“Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.” Matthew 10:39

“Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.” John 12:25

Humility

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:3

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” Matthew 5:5

“Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.” Matthew 18:3-5

“The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.” Matthew 23:11-12

 “But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant and said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.” Mark 10:14-15

"For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.’ 
Luke 14:11 (cf. Matthew 12:23)

“But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.” Luke 18:13-14

“So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.” John 13:14-17


No comments:

Post a Comment